Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Another Wildflower Wednesday

I often miss the Wildflower Wednesday that Gail hosts at Clay and Limestone.  As I am usually behind in my reading of blog posts, it could be Saturday or Sunday before I see that WW has come and gone.  Ah, retirement!  Lucky for me I saw another's posting, so I know it is THIS week that is WW, so I can participate.
This first little beauty I believe to be one of the Gerardia Agalinis, though I am not sure which one.  This was found in the ravine(ish) area of the backyard that leads to the lake.  Many of the wildflower finds are in this area. 
 Reading a little more, the book says the Agalinis linifolia is the only species in South Carolina that lacks yellow lines within the corolla.  I see no yellow, I believe this is the species.

In the front yard, along the lower side yard I found this sunny yellow beauty.  Again, not sure what the species is....though it looks like a Helianthus to me.  Many of these are quite tall, but mine~~~ only about 12- 18" tall.  It could be due to the drought that the growth is stilted.  Wildflowers are not my strongsuit, I am learning one flower at a time.



This fall beauty is Schizachyrium scoparium 'Little Blue Stem'.  Native grasses are doing well in many places of the yard.  The area along the driveway is very hard packed, full of construction rock and sand, little to no topsoil.... and a bear to dig in.  We decided to put a number of 'Little Blue Stem' in to help slow the water (if we get any rain!) as it rolls down the hill.  I planted 17, 14 still survive.  There are some that are really small and some, like the one pictured, that are doing quite well.  I love the seedheads that shimmer in the light.
 Hidden in the woods at the top of the property are some Hawthorn, Crataegus flava.  Love the yellow fruits in the fall but watch out for those thorns.
 While exploring the front woods, I thought I would check out the area where the Cranefly Orchid, Tipularia discolor was last year.  Imagine my delight when I found two leaves!! 
I have done a whole posting on Sourwood, Oxydendrum arboreum, each fall, when these beautiful red leaves jump out of the landscape it is hard not to mention them again.   As we drive by this tree, I tell my husband I love this tree.....and him, not necessarily in that order.  Don't you just love these flower buds??

 I seldom go into the septic drainfield area, too many bugs this time of year.  I have ventured in during the winter and spring.  The other day I was along the edge of the grasses, checking out the Cosmos I planted earlier this spring.   Look what else I found growing near the Cosmos!! A Helenium perhaps autumnale. 


Goldenrod is present this time of year...love the bold yellow color.  I thought about collecting the seeds from this one and scattering it in more places ...the wind will take care of it.
 
 Last but not least, a wildflower that Frances mentioned in her posting today.  Dog Fennel, Eupatorium capillofolium, later in the fall the stems will turn a ruddy red.  This is one I will admire from the street.

 Please stop by Gail's blog and see other Wildflowers. 


©Copyright 2011 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely post, Janet! The common sneezewood is everywhere around here this time of year...so bright and cheery! I forgot about WW too! Maybe I can do a post tomorrow. I have really been a slacker when it comes to blogging...but I have good intentions...LOL! You have some great plants there...those you planted and those that just 'showed up'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice WW finds.....nature will spread the goldenrod around just fine by herself, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tons of wildflowers. You've done a great job identifying them all. I love the sourwood. Mine is still too small for flowers so I really enjoyed the picture you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely array of blooming wildflowers you have, Janet! I have much to learn about wildflowers, too, and usually carry my Illinois Wildflowers book around when I'm trying to identify them. I'd have to start all over if I moved to another state:) The sourwood is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got a real great assortment of flowers there. I'm terrible at identifying wildflowers but I do like the challenge of photographing and surfing the internet or checking resource books for identification. Like you, I'm learning them one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet you have some beautiful wildflowers growing. I love helianthus and that yellow is so bright...I don't think we have sourwood up N but if we did I would want it...lovely color!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, and what a rich variety of native loveliness in your immediate surroundings. Love the helenium.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lot's of wildflowers still in bloom! Lucky you to have found the orchid~that is a treasure. I am so glad you participated in WW. gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agalinis was a new one to me until last year when I found some in the Dismal Swamp. Through the power of the internet I was able to get an ID.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janet, I must participate in WW next spring so I too can learn more about wildflowers. You made many pretty discovers here. Like you, my favourite is the Dog Fennel. I like the reddish brown stems.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem to find so many wildflowers in your area. You are fortunate!

    Have a great weekend!

    PS I may have blogged out! I'm so focused on other things (and fighting a weeklong cold) that I can't seem to come up with an idea for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your yellow flower looks like doronicum. I don't think they're wildflowers. It may have been seeded by the wind or birds. If I retired, I would never fall behind on my blogging. But unless I win the lottery, I can't retire at 42!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great line-up of wildflowers Janet. Wildflowers are not my strong suit either. However, like you, I'm trying to learn them as well. Hope you get some rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you do seem to have a keen eye for finding all sorts of wildflowers. what a selection! i don't know Agalinis, but it's very pretty. i will keep an eye out for it. sourwoods are just gorgeous here too. they turn kind of early and really stand out. interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your unidentified 'yellow beauty' is Golden Ragwort, a member of the aster family in the eastern US. I admire them a lot.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. You sure found plenty of variety.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a nice post! I can never remember Wildflower Wednesday either.

    Enjoy the wonderful fall weather here in the Carolinas!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello
    Great photos!
    I scrolled through them several times trying to pick out a favorite... Nope, couldn't do it!
    I like them all

    And congratulations on being a winner at Fill The Frame!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gotta love those flowers that take care of themselves! The sourwood is very pretty in its fall colors. How nice that it reminds you to tell your hubby how you feel about him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I spotted some of the above mentioned while riding through SC on Friday and Monday! The yellow was beaming with the sun shining on it. Hope you had some of the rain from the storm that rolled through yesterday. But no damage is wished upon your lands. We had 2/10 inch which is not much but at this point, we will take what we can get from the rain clouds. Windy today so i am staying clear of the woods....

    ReplyDelete
  21. It has been a long time... but it was nice to come back for a visit and see a bit of South Carolina (yes, I'm horribly homesick for my garden). I hope that you had a nice Thanksgiving - and that you are enjoying retirement and creating a new garden! (the roses below are just beautiful!).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gerardia grows wild here too and I love it. The color really stands out.

    We went walking at a large park owned by the local community college and saw Little Bluestem there. It really does glow in the late season sun.

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.