Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Wildflower Wednesday- Orchids

This is a quick addendum to my previous post on Crane-fly Orchids, back in July.  This native ephemeral plant has those beautiful green basal leaves that are present in the winter and then a flower stalk in the summer. Well, this week while walking through the shade garden I noticed a spent flower stalk.

Tipularia discolor

Difficult to photograph with a cell phone, the automatic focus function has a hard time focusing on the slender stalk.  I persevered and was able to get a couple shots. Here is the best. Look at all those seed pods! I believe we will have a nice stand of Tipularia discolor, Crane-fly Orchid for years to come. 


Be sure to stop by Gail's blog for Wildflower Wednesday.



©Copyright 2019 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

14 comments:

  1. That’s a great post for Wildflower Wednesday! Tipularia is such a great native plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, lucky you! It's nice to know that you'll have plenty in your garden in years to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always such a magical experience finding orchids in the woods. :) We have some yellow lady's slippers here and lots of pink lady's slippers. There are a few smaller orchids in our woods as well, and in wilder areas Maine has some real rarities. I have yet to see this one. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, lucky you to have lady slippers- both pink and yellow.

      Delete
  4. Oh you lucky gardener! This is a wonderful find! Oh to live with acid soil! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, my soil is so acidic...thankfully I have lots of plants that like the acidity.

      Delete
  5. Nice capture. I've never seen orchids in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jason. I have a few in the garden but it is always fun to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a wild orchid we rescued from under the apple trees when we moved from our previous garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding plants that stand out. Always a treat to find something out of the ordinary.

      Delete
  8. I gotta bookmark this website it seems extremely helpful very useful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.