Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Twelve Trees Fourteen Shrubs and Almost 200 Bulbs

December was THE month for planting in South Carolina.  Yes, I planted a dozen trees and 14 shrubs.  The bulbs were plants in January.   The shrubs were a great purchase from the Abbeville Cooperative Extension Tree Sale.  Last year I bought three dogwoods and three redbuds and a couple pecans.  Sadly the pecans did not make it through the winter.
This year I bought only shrubs through this sale.  Nine of the shrubs are Spirea vanhouttei.  Six were planted along the very long driveway.  I thought I was staggering the plantings but after I was done it appears they are paired, across the driveway from one another.  The other three were planted on the side of my playhouse/shed that faces the ajoining property.   All these shrubs have ample room to grow to full size.  The nice thing about this spirea is that it can be planted in full sun to part shade.   This picture below is the nine, bundled together, each having a nice baseball-ish rootball.   


In the top photo are three red flowering quince, Chaenomeles sp. .  All of them are nice sized, the order form said they would be 2-3 feet and I wasn't sure how much shrub was going to be there.   These three  are planted up along the street in front of the woods on the left side of the driveway as you walk up the drive.  These are spring blooming and will be a nice pop of red early in spring.  A couple buds are already leafing out.







I also bought a  snowball Viburnum, probably a Viburnum opulus, though I didn't get a botanical name to go along with this one.  It is planted in the lowest part of the backyard.  Finally, the last one I bought and probably the one I wanted most-- Oakleaf Hydrangea, Hydrangea quercifolia.  I have some small ones in the back garden but really wanted one to fill a space along the driveway.  Knowing this shrub can get to be the size of a small pickup truck,  I am giving it all the room in the world.  Right now it is a straight stem, abou 3 feet long.   Come on spring!!!



The trees were purchased/received through the Arbor Day Foundation.  I got the ten 'free' flowering trees when I joined.   I wanted a Sassafras tree and received a free Red Maple....so twelve trees to plant.  Two of each of the following were planted- dogwood- Cornus florida, redbud- Cercis canadensis, Flowering Crab Apple- Malus sargentii, Goldenrain Tree- Koelreuteria paniculata, Washington Hawthorn- Crataegus phaenopyrum.  These darling dozen were all about the size of a watercolor paintbrush.  In order to know where these little babies are located, I tied a little piece of green ribbon around each.  It has helped in locating them when I water and will help in the spring when I check to see if they survived the winter.

Redbud next to soaker hose


Crabapple -- so small it needed a stick next to it and some rocks to mark the spot
This photo below shows the red Maple.  It was wrapped with a sticky label...the little white dot the arrow is pointing to. 
 Here is a blowup.
We will see if these tiny trees make it, I worry about animals walking over them and snapping them off.

This is my notebook, I have marked every single plant I either brought with us from Virginia, was given by friends, and the hundreds I purchased and planted since moving here a year ago July.  I also write down where bulbs are planted, it helps when looking for them or knowing where NOT to plant more bulbs. 
The bulbs planted last weekend were two large bags of 50 double bulb daffodils, Narcissus 'Dutch Master', one bag of 50 Paperwhites, yellow Paperwhites, Narcissus 'Grand Soleil d'Or' and a bag of ten tulips,  hybrid greigii tulip.  
Spring is going to be spectacular in South Carolina....stay tuned!!!




©Copyright 2012 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

31 comments:

  1. Way to go Janet! I hope each one grows and thrives! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail!! You were very quick commenting, I hadn't corrected my typos.

      Delete
  2. Janet,
    You wore me out thinking of digging all the holes for these. Good thing they were not 10 gallon plants. We got some Arbor Day Foundation Crepe Myrtles 3 years ago, pitiful looking when we got them. None they are becoming some nice scrubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Randy, the holes for the trees were pretty easy, just made a slice with my soil knife. I hope my new tiny babies thrive!!

      Delete
  3. I've always wondered what size those Arbor Day Trees are. I'd worry about them too. I hope they grow really well for you. I know how hard it is to start over when you move, and you have even more space to fill than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered too. Starting over has been interesting, and you are correct....lots of space to fill.

      Delete
  4. Hello Janet,
    Friends shared their free Arbor Day Foundation trees with us. They get some every year, and have some lovely trees now that were once tiny twigs. To keep from accidently stepping on these baby trees, I set a tomato cage over each one!
    We have had rainy days and mild temps, but forecast is for clearing and much colder.
    Have a blessed day,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lea, Tomato cages is a good idea to protect them too! Hope they have grown well for you.

      Delete
  5. Janet what great trees and all the bulbs...to be able to extend gardening into December is the greatest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks! We have great gardening days off and on all winter, I love that!

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to be able to plant in December and January! I've been tempted with the mild winter we've had, but the snow is falling this morning, and I think we may finally be in for some cold. Can't wait to see all your new lovelies this spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, We are lucky to be able to plant in the winter. I think we are getting that winter blast tonight too. The wind is howling right now. Looking forward to spring for sure!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Janet. You have been a busy gardener.It is nice that you can plant so late. Although with this mild winter we have had up here I could have kept right on planting this year also. I love Oak leafed Hydrangea's. Your driveway is going to look so pretty when the Spirea's bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lona, yes I have been busy, I have lots of land to cover. I can't wait for the spirea to put on their show this spring, it will be grand.

      Delete
  8. Oh so ambitious! What a great way to stay warm in the winter...planting. And the spring rewards will be 100 fold (or 200 in bulbs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening Under the Influence, welcome! It wasn't very chilly the day I planted -- we have had such a mild fall and early winter. Spring rewards are going to be splendid.

      Delete
  9. They will be wonderful in the Spring. You have been busy. Not very much property here to plant anything. Have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lola, I hope spring comes soon!!! I can't wait to see all the new blooms.

      Delete
  10. I love spirea. :o) Your plant selections sound fabulous! When I lived in SC there were only a few wks it seemed that were too chilly for gardening. Now I just wait, wait, wait for spring. Lucky you to have had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy, I am enjoying making selections. Can't wait for spring!

      Delete
  11. I'm jealous of all those free trees. What a great deal. Your yard is going to look fabulous in a few years time. You were very smart to put the green tape on them too, we didn't do that our first year and spent ages combing the field trying to find where we'd planted everything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marguerite, free is a loose term, the membership cost $10. I do hope to have a spectacular garden when all these babies mature!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've been busy! It will surely pay off for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck with all of your new plantings! The mild winter has really helped (aside from the sudden, short-lived cold snaps).

    The oakleaf hydrangeas should be beautiful -- they're one of my favorite shrubs.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, thanks, I did some more planting today. I love oakleaf hydrangeas too.

      Delete
  15. Wow, that's a lot of planting! It's always interesting in the Spring to see what has made it through the winter. Hopefully most of your plants will survive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On My Soapbox, it is a lot of planting. I need to take a break and to see how well things are doing.

      Delete
  16. Hi Janet, What potential you have planted this winter! If the weather continues to be as mild as it has been, they are all bound to have an excellent start in your garden. I am looking forward to seeing the progress of all your trees and shrubs this spring.
    Your bulb display also sounds like it will be terrific too. I wish I was as organized as you are, with your careful list making. I have improved, with the embarrassment of not knowing the names of specific varieties as a strong motivator, but I still have a ways to go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, we generally have a mild winter and it is short. I just need to make sure I water everything since our rain has been so little. Starting anew is a help with doing the bulbs, I have written down everything and with hope, can refer easily back to my notes ...I say hopefully as my scribbles are hard to read sometimes.

      Delete
  17. Janet, it should be very exciting to decide what plants to buy for a new garden!
    I wanted badly an oakleaf hydrangea after my visit to Sarah Duke's garden last June, but I couldn't find it in local nurseries.
    Thank you for your comments on my blog, Janet! As for the new puppy, you didn't miss anything. It was the first time when I showed its pictures. We brought him home at the end of December from Oregon. He is our German Shepherd #3. I am glad you like him!

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.