Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tomato Pie-- Another Food Setting Post!

A couple summers ago I heard about a tasty summer treat-- Tomato Pie.   Sounded tasty.  This summer I finally got to taste Tomato Pie at one of those fun eateries we like to frequent, Grits and Groceries.  Tonight I made my first Tomato Pie.  I WAS going to make it last night, but if you read the recipe at 5:30 -- you are a little late unless you want dinner at midnight.

First one must draw moisture out of the tomatoes.  Recipe calls for four large tomatoes, sliced about 1/4 inch thick.
Tomatoes and herbs
 The crust was made yesterday and rolled out this evening.  I am getting to like Martha Stewart, used her pie crust recipe.  This link didn't work today -- here is the recipe that I used.  2 cups flour, 1 1/2 sticks butter, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons ice water.  Pulse flour and salt in food processor, add butter, little at a time.  Once the mixture looks like coarse sand add ice water-- pouring through the chute while processor is on.  Once the dough holds together, wrap in plastic and chill at least an hour.  Prebake the crust for about 10 minutes...helps a little with the soggy crust.



Filled the shell with tomatoes.

Then comes the topping-- not heart healthy, just go with it. 
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayo
1 small onion diced
fresh basil & fresh parsley
some pepper
Spread mixture on tomatoes.


Bake 350 degrees for about 40 minutes until golden brown.  Cool completely (seriously???? We didn't wait too long...smelled wonderful)


Dinner's on the table---


Yes, we have some leftovers...dinner's side dish for tomorrow!

Gotta love the south and yummy summer dishes!  If you have tomatoes, give it a try!

©Copyright 2011 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

19 comments:

  1. Boy, does that ever look yummy. May just have to try it. lol It will blow my diabetic diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks so good! I've never had tomato pie, but now I must make it. We have lots of green tomatoes, hopefully they'll ripen soon and I can use them in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet,
    Never heard of this pie. Now that the supply of tomatoes is low.. All that mayo..

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so going to have that tomorrow. The Pastor at the local church just brought us a ton of tomatoes so I am pretty sure My Vickie is going to be backing that tomorrow.

    Oh no, wait, we don't have an oven. I guess it is time to call in "The Mom" card.

    Thanks for the recipie.....

    Bert
    PS I am actually glad we don't have an oven cause My Vickie CAN NOT cook. But her Mom, now that is a cook

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a tomato pie once, when a friend shared her recipe. BUT there was nothing that said to draw the moisture out of the tomatoes. So, while it ended up tasting very good, it didn't look a think like your delectable delish dish. I will have to try one again, now that I have a really good recipe--thanks!!
    (I deleted my previous comment because, without the punctuation it needed, it was like...eats shoots and leaves. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would never have thought of that - but looks good, may have to try it if enough of our large toms ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of tomatoe pie before and even though I'm not a huge fan of tomatoes that sure does look good. Even I might be tempted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ANything in a pie is tasty. I will have to buy tomatoes from the Farmers market to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so tasty!! Normally, I avoid mayo but that looks too good to pass up! Thanks for the link. I grew up military and had no idea there was a symbol for military kids. Now I like dandelions even more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. now that's a pie! it turned out so photogenic, didn't it? yum! i have a similar recipe with a layer of broccoli under the tomato layer. that's good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! The hummers are very entertaining in our yard as well. We had to move the near by feeder though as the sun was making it too hot and it was dripping onto the pavers calling in the darn ants. I must get another feeder within window view. Oh, the little buzzers hoover by our windows at the color of the stain glass birds. Too cute....

    ReplyDelete
  13. that is gorgeous! good thing we don't have your address or you'd have bloggers on your doorstep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet, That pie looks so delicious and the recipe is just the kind I can handle-simple! I may have to give it a go.
    P.S. The hummingbird shots in the last post are just great! They are fast little guys that are so hard to catch on film.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, this looks delicious! No shortage of tomatoes here; in fact, I can't keep up with all of them. I will definitely have to give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks for a great looking recipe. Do you think low-fat mayo would work?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks everyone for all your drooling! Hope everyone gave this pie a try. Low-fat mayo? If you must.... :-)
    As for those who are looking to find my doorstep for a slice of pie.... come on down!

    ps- this posting has had the largest number of hits in a long time... hooray.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love, love, love tomatoes! Need to try this!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.