Thursday, January 28, 2021

Queen Bee

and the Honeylovers. Wait, is this a bee post? No, but it mentions bees in the band's name. 


Let me back up a little bit. Last Saturday night after watching Austin City Limits debut performance of Ray Wylie Hubbard, a different show came on. Funny how that works, right? Anyhow, Charlie was asleep and the remote was on his side of the bed, so I just watched as I drifted off to sleep. It was a a show on PBS UNC called Echo Sessions. My interest was piqued by the performers for this week's show. Queen Bee and the Honeylovers. This band is from Asheville. For those who have read my blog for a while know I fell in love with Asheville when I went to my first Garden Blogger's Fling
The first two points in their favor are 
1. bees - we like bees- even if it is the name of a band.
2. Asheville- the name of the CD, I gave this band a listen. 
They are billed as a Swing Jazz band. The songs performed on this CD are original, written by Whitney Moore, the lead singer, or Whitney and Michael Gamble, James Posedel, or Steve Karla. Subject matter for this set of songs were legends of Asheville, many from Whitney's grandparents' stories. 
A few more points in their favor go to the songs themselves. 
3. One song is about Cornelia Vanderbilt, as she comes of age at the Biltmore hosting a masquerade ball. I love the Biltmore. During the Fling we toured the gardens. Charlie and I went back to tour the house. What a remarkable place. 
4. Zelda Fitzgerald- song title 'Legend of Zelda Fitzgerald' caught my ear as I listened to the show. Our neighborhood book club read a story of Zelda.  Guests on Earth  by Lee Smith, where it talked about her time in a hospital/sanitorium in Asheville. 
5. I am The Queen, appreciate other royalty.

 The next morning I Googled this band and found their website. I ordered their CD and it arrived Tuesday. This morning I did my curbside pick up for groceries, I grabbed the new CD and drove into town. What a fun CD, the music is light and jazzy- just what they advertised- Swing Jazz. Whitney's voice is reminiscent of music from the 20s and 30s, with fresh songs. I love the ties to Asheville as she is a 4th generation Asheville native. 
Their website mentions new material coming out, shows on television, like Echo Sessions, and radio interviews. Our favorite radio station, WNCW had their 'Asheville' CD on the list of listener-voted poll of top 100 albums at #41 for 2019 (I think I am late to the party with this band!!). 

Give a listen to the old standard  'Until the Real Thing Comes Along' 

All comments and thoughts are my own, no compensation for this review. Hope you like them as much as I do.


©Copyright 2021 Janet. All rights reserved. Content created by Janet for The Queen of Seaford. words and photos by Janet,The Queen of Seaford.

6 comments:

  1. So kind of you to share our music! Always happy to encounter a fellow bee lover. In fact, my husband and I were about to dive into back yard bee keeping- we were discussing how much we loved honey which is where then name came from. But ironically, the band took off- and took up all my spare time- and there was no time left to keep bees! Look forward to reading your gardening blog- it is my second passion after music. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Unknown (Whitney), thanks so much for commenting! It made my day. If you are thinking of keeping bees be sure to read my posts about beekeeping. Looking forward to going back to concerts in the the hopefully near future- will look for your bookings to see where you are playing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is pretty sweet - thanks for the introduction to Queen Bee and the Honeylovers. I might need this CD myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane, yes, pretty sweet. Let me know if you get a CD and your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ll have to give them a listen, plus inform my friend Joanna, who’s nickname is Honeybee!

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.