Saturday, December 20, 2008

Feathered Friends




Today has been busy with birds of all kinds. Earlier this morning we had some Canada Geese swimming down the creek. Seems like every Christmas we have a flock of them that hang out at this end of the creek. As I am writing this there are about six or seven back again. We also had a pair of Hooded Mergansers swimming in the creek. These diving ducks are hard to photograph as they dive as soon as you make any move. I did take one photo of them...but it is so far away that it is difficult to tell what you are seeing.



Later in the day, after I filled the meal worm cup we had three bluebirds come to feed. They had to wait their turn with the Carolina Wrens, Chickadees, and Tufted titmouse. This photo is from the spring, but it could have easily been taken this morning.







The feeders were busy all day with Cardinals, House finches, Downy Woodpeckers, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker....and a host of others.










Then everyone disappeared. I was baking, so I didn't pay much attention to all the activity or lack thereof. Then I looked out the kitchen window. Now I know why they all flew off. Think it is a Sharp-shinned Hawk or a Coopers Hawk.

2 comments:

  1. Great pix! I miss seeing the little Downey Woodpeckers!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun post! It must be wonderful to live near the water like that, and see such a great variety of birds.

    ReplyDelete

If you use "Anonymous" please sign your name so I know who you are...there is a lot of spam out there. Thanks for visiting today. The Queen would be pleased if you left a comment...... :-D thanks! I do respond to your comments, you can click on the email followup comments to have it in your inbox.

I am now moderating all comments. Too much spam is coming through. Sorry folks.